STMicroelectronics has introduced two high-speed digital-input current limiters that set new standards for circuit protection in factory automation. The SCLT3-8BQ7 and CLT01-38SQ7 provide industrial Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) – the “brains” of smart factories and industrial robots – with fast, robust protection against unwanted input-signal current spikes while reducing power consumption, board space, and component costs.
The new devices meld ST’s long-standing leadership in Transient Voltage Suppressors with its state-of-the-art packaging technology. Both devices are housed in the highly compact QFN-48L (7x7mm) package with a large exposed thermal pad that optimizes power dissipation at ambient temperatures greater than 100ºC.
Key technical features include:
- 8 high-speed SPI protected outputs;
- 8/16-bit high-speed SPI output;
- High-side inputs with common ground;
- Integrated 5V regulator;
- 30V+ reverse polarity protection;
- Energy-free LED output signal for visual status indication;
- 78mW/channel power-dissipation capability;
- Temperature/voltage alarm options.
The high-speed inputs and outputs are fully compliant with the requirements of best-in-class PLCs.
The CLT01-38SQ7 also delivers robustness compliant with the most stringent international EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) standards such as IEC 61000-4.2, IEC61000-4.4, and IEC6100-4.5.